What Is the Limbic System? (Plus How to Keep It Healthy & the Role of Essential Oils)!
- Written by preethab30
As I was researching on PFC and limbic system- that which takes care of emotions. I came across a really nice article by Dr. Axe. In this article he is elaborating about the Limbic System and talks about its functions.
Infact he claims the limbic system as one hard-working region of the brain!
Based on the article, here are specific limbic system functions, disorders of limbic system, how to keep limbic system healthy plus importance of essential oils and limbic system! Why am I talking about this? Please see that in the end of the article!
The specific Limbic System functions are:
- Controlling emotions like anger and fear
- Regulating eating, hunger and thirst
- Responding to pain and pleasure
- Controlling functioning of the autonomic nervous system, including things like pulse, blood pressure, breathing and arousal
- Controlling aggressive or violent behavior
- Responding to sensory information, especially sense of smell
- Human reproductive satisfaction
While the article is technical by nature, there are spaces that you can relate to, especially the connection of limbic system and emotions.
What I liked in the article is about Limbic System disorders which include :
- Disinhibited behavior
- Increased anger and violence
- Increased fear and anxiety
- binge eating or emotional eating.
- Trouble forming memories
…and How to keep the Limbic System healthy was interesting…
- Use Soothing or Uplifting Essential Oils
- Practice Deep Breathing
- Try Visualizations or Guided Imagery
- Make a Habit of Being Mindful, Still and Silent
What caught my eye was, Essential Oils and the Limbic System!
The limbic system gathers information from the environment through sensory information. As you’ve experienced firsthand many times, your senses can alter your emotional state rapidly. For example, a pleasurable meal can make you feel comforted, and very loud noises can make you feel anxious.
Ever wonder why certain smells conjure up memories and even physical feelings so vividly? Our sense of smell is unique compared to our other senses (such as taste, sight and hearing) because it bypasses parts of the brain that other types of sensory information often cannot. Because of this, smells can often cause immediate and strong emotional reactions based on memories. Smells can bring us back to past events within milliseconds, making us feel a certain way based on past events, whether we realize why we’re suddenly feeling that way or not.
Essential oils, for example, can have dramatic effects on limbic function and how you feel. This is true because the strong fragrances they hold, which are found inside volatile molecules that can make their way into your bloodstream, travel directly through the blood/brain barrier very quickly.
- The hippocampus is involved in olfaction (smelling). How so exactly? Aromatic molecules contained within essential oils interact with sensors in your nasal cavity, lungs, pores and more. Research shows that the olfactory bulb projects information into the ventral part of the hippocampus, and the hippocampus sends axons to the main olfactory bulb, (including the anterior olfactory nucleus and the primary olfactory cortex). This is how memories and smells become tied together. (6)
- Once engaged, sensors emit strong emotional signals based on smells starting from your limbic system (hippocampus) and spreading throughout the rest of your body to places like your heart and digestive tract.
- Because essential oils can impact memory, balance hormone levels and overall support healthy limbic system functions, much new scientific evidence shows that inhaling essential oils may be one of the fastest ways to create physiological or psychological benefits. These include decreasing anxiety, anger or even fatigue.
Now why is it important to know this? It is very important to control the limbic system for the PFC to function well. If not, the emotions take over…
So all you women out there? Want to know about the 3 basic brain principles for an enjoyable life?, THEN do register for my weekly webinar by clicking the link above!
Thanks for reading in…
Women’s Independence Coach